Thursday, October 17, 2013

Autumn Leaves



By this time of year, I would usually find myself sinking into a sort of seasonal depression. Beautiful as the golden leaves are – covering every yard and hiding in every man-made corner – they're still signs of the coming winter. The fading light at dusk would make my heart sink gradually into the current of cool time that flows relentlessly forward. It's a sort of paralysis of the soul that comes on slowly, weighed down by every fallen leaf.

This year feels... different. I'm not rolling down a steep slope, bracing myself against the snow that waits at the bottom. Instead I'm blazing a trail through new mountains. Some days, I loose my breath on mountaintops at the sight of the land below. Others, I tremble in the valleys. It's up and down and back and forth across this new world. Who I am seems to vacillate with each leaf I crunch beneath my feet. Hopefully, as autumn leaves, I will settle down somewhere along these mountains. I may even be in good company.

Vic, Jake, Gabii, and Mike playing Magic

Is this too deep for a blog post? Perhaps. But somehow I think it's just vague enough to publish. 

Playlist:
Ó Fridur, Sigur Rós
New World, tobyMac
Headphones, Jars of Clay
Jeune et con (acoustique), Damien Saez
The Lament of Captain Placeholder, Cranius

No comments:

Post a Comment