Wednesday, November 6, 2013

An Attempt at French Poetry

The foreign languages department is having an arts night next week that I'm really excited about. Since the semester started I've been looking for an opportunity - an excuse - to write something creative that I could share on stage. Poetry feels like a dirty, self indulgent pleasure sometimes. It feels like clumsily paintbrush in my writing hand; and yet, somehow, it comes out to be something not entirely terrible.

I wasn't planning to perform anything at this arts night. Anything I do would have to be in French, and I don't want to embarrass myself with my poor grammar and pronunciation. I'm growing as a speaker, both in French and English, but I tremble enough without the added pressure of rolling rrr's and silent letters. But after talking with some of the other French Club executives I decided I might give it a go.

So here's my attempt, titled: Je ne pense pas.
Note: Written first in French, then translated to English.


<<Je pense donc je suis, >>
Dit le philosophe. 
Mais si je ne pense pas ? 
Suis-je rien ? 

Je me sens la froideur de la nuit. 
L’obscurité couvrit 
Mon corps, mon esprit. 
Je suis seul, et je ne pense pas. 

Je regards la lune brille, 
Guider les étoiles à travers le ciel, 
Et me Guider à travers le monde. 
Je suis mouton – je ne pense pas. 

Je m’assieds au sommet des montagnes, 
Regarder l’aube. Je m’entends des voix, 
Douces et chaudes. Des amis ? 
Oui, je pense qu’ils sont des amis véritables.
"I think, therefore I am,"
Says the philosopher.
But what if I do not think?
Am I nothing?

I feel the night's chill.
The darkness covers
My body, my mind.
I am alone, and I do not think.

I look upon the shining moon,
guiding the stars across the sky
and guiding me across the world.
I am a sheep - I do not think.

I sit at the mountains' summit,
Watching the sunrise. I hear voices,
soft and warm. Friends?
Yes, I think they are true friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment